Friday, December 25, 2009

Soft Molasses Spice Cookies


When it comes to spice cookies and gingersnaps I'm in love. I could eat a whole box of them to myself and it'd be totally worth the belly ache. I made these soft darlings for goodie bags I gave to my co-workers :) I rolled them in brown and then white sugar and I definitely have to say I prefer white sugar as it sparkles a lot better. These had the spice flavor, but I didn't find them too overpowering like some store bought cookies. Also be sure to give them enough room to expand as you can see I didn't and got a few Siamese twins :P That was okay by me though, more for me to eat!


Soft Molasses Spice Cookies
from The Great American Cookie Cookbook (Publications International, Ltd.) - buy it here on amazon.com

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves in medium bowl.

Beat 1/2 cup butter in large bowl until smooth and creamy.
Gradually add brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until fluffy.
Beat in molasses and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
Beat in flour mixture at low speed alternately with 1/4 cup milk until blended.

Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (sprinkle or roll in sugar if desired) of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
Bake 12 minutes or until set. Let cookies stand on cookie sheets 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment