Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chicken a la Orange aka Crockpot Orange Chicken


Originally this was to be a Wordless Wednesday posting, but after a recipe is asked for I must give! Here you go Amanda!

The original recipe picture was quite deceiving to my poor eyes and stomach. The picture in my cookbook displays the Orange Chicken I know and love -- breaded and fried goodness with a sweet orange sauce coating it. I had a feeling this recipe would turn out nothing like the picture...but alas I went forth!

You know what? I was right. This is what it turned out as (see delicious picture above, click to enjoy further details.) So alas, it wasn't the chicken I was dreaming of, but what it lacked in fatty deep fried breading it excelled in the yummy ORANGE flavor I was seeking. Saving you the extra fat and calories, I'd consider this the "healthier" orange chicken.

The original recipe calls for two cans of mandarin oranges, but I only used one. I found that the sauce really didn't thicken up on its own in the crock pot after 6 hours so I re-worked the recipe a bit, and this is what I came up with....


Chicken a la Orange

5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of excess fat
1-2 tablespoons salt-free garlic and herb seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash)
(1) 11oz. can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
(1) 6oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate, pulp-free
1 tbsp. lemon juice
(1) 10oz. can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2-3 cups cooked rice (your favorite, I used brown)
water


Place chicken breasts in sprayed slow cooker and sprinkle with garlic-herb seasoning.

Combine oranges, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, broth, cornstarch & 1/3 cup water in bowl, mix well. Pour mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

When close to serving, spoon out some of the liquid and simmer in a saucepan on medium heat until thickened. To prevent your chicken from drowning in the remaining juice, scoop out chicken pieces and toss to coat in your thickened sauce.

Place cooked rice on serving platter and top with chicken and sauce. Add additional sauce as needed.

Serves 5 to 6.
(Points below for 6 servings)


Weight Watchers Points (per serving): 6

2 comments: