Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dilled Fettuccine with Whiskey-Crab Sauce


So for my last day in Indiana I wanted to make something special for lunch. Browsing through one of the cookbooks I'd received as a Christmas present a few years ago I found this recipe. This looked so good in the picture and it sounded pretty unique. I'm not much of a seafood person so when it called for crab my stomach started to turn. It then went on to list 1/2 cup of whiskey as an ingredient and I was worried that the sauce would have a powerful whiskey flavor. I decided to go ahead and make the dish, but instead I used imitation crab meat instead as I don't trust seafood in a land-locked area and the price is ridiculous here. If you want great fresh seafood I'll stick to Alaska :)

It's very creamy, almost like Alfredo. I would add more dill to the dish as I didn't feel that I tasted it at all. It was good and I liked the bits of green onion that kind of burst in my mouth with flavor. We paired it with a delicious crusty bread and butter! I think I might try this recipe with chicken some day. Oh! The sauce tastes nothing like whiskey in case you were wondering ;)

Dilled Fettuccine with Whiskey-Crab Sauce
adapted from Betty Crocker's Cooking for Two

4 ounces uncooked fettuccine
1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
3 medium green onions, sliced
1/2 cup scotch whiskey, bourbon or chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried dill
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup cut-up cooked crab meat or frozen (thawed) imitation crabmeat


Cook fettuccine as directed on package

Cut artichoke hearts into halves if necessary. Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until melted. Cook 2 tablespoons green onions in butter about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in whiskey, dill weed, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all liquid has evaporated.

Stir whipping cream into whiskey mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened. Stir in artichoke hearts and crab meat; heat through.

Drain fettuccine. Toss fettuccine and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining green onions. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!

*I have not been paid or asked to advertise the cookbook used.

No comments:

Post a Comment