Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sour Cream Cookies


My mother tends to always have an obscene amount of sour cream in her fridge so I wanted to make use of some if not most of it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the stuff! But one container is enough for me :) I found this recipe and was curious at how they would taste and turnout! They aren't thtat sweet for being a cookie, but I find just a drizzle of icing is all they really needed. Not too powerful, not too weak, but just right! So let's get started on this easy peasy recipe:


Sour Cream Cookies
from Old Fashioned Country Cookies (Gooseberry Patch) - buy it here at amazon.com

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional, I made mine without due to co-worker's with allergies)


Mix together thoroughly the shortening, brown sugar and eggs.
Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
Sift flour, soda, baking powder, and salt; stir into sour cream mixture. Add nuts.
Chill at least 1 hour. Drop by rounded teaspoonfulls about 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake until delicately browned, about 8 to 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

I drizzled mine in festive colors but the possibilities are endless! The book recommends slathering these cookies with a Burnt Butter Icing. Recipe is as follows:

Burnt Butter Icing:

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons hot water

Melt butter until golden brown. Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla.
Stir in hot water until icing spreads smoothly.
Icing for about 30 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment